Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, June 28, 2010

Mystic Monday

The Fun of Rereading a Story

As many of you might have noticed, this seems to be the year of re-releases. Everyone's doing it, Robyn Carr, Kat Martin, Jayne Ann Krentz, and a host of others. Plus, more and more audiobooks that were originally released on cassette are being re-issued on CD and MP3 too. Besides giving new readers a chance to enjoy these enjoyable stories, it also gives readers like me a chance to listen to the book the second time around.

I'm currently listening to Scandal by Amanda Quick (JAK). When I first read this book, the name Simon was only mildly humorous whenever I would read the line, "Simon said". However, I found the name taking on a new type of humor due to recent celebrities. In case you haven't figured out where this is going, I'll tell you. I tend to find the name much funnier now, especially when paired with the action "scowled," as in - "Simon scowled."

What's so funny?

Well, I end up thinking of Simon Cowell whenever I hear the words, "Simon scowled" then I laugh even more when I think about Simon Cowell scowling! A tongue twister if I ever heard one!

Not only that, but every time the character lost her glasses, I kept thinking of Velma from Scooby-Doo - "My glasses, my glasses! I can't see without my glasses."

Has this ever happened to you? Have you found that your appreciation of a character or story changed with time? If so, how? Is it more enjoyable or do you find yourself wondering what you enjoyed about the story the first time you read it?

7 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

I discovered this when I reread some of my childhood faves, like Little House series and teen mysteries. REading LHOTP as an adult, I noticed more of the history details. And the mysteries...omg...how did I NOT figure out the clues? Also, the female sleuths were always rescued by their male friends (eye roll and gag).

The only Amanda Quick I've read was Mistress, and LOVED it! I need to read more of hers. Oh, and bought The White Queen last weekend; I hope to get to it this week:)

Carrie said...

I love Philippa Gregory! I hope you enjoy it!

Yes, every time you think of the white chess queen, think of this book, because there is truth to the name of the "White Queen"!

In fact, if I am not mistaken, the part in Alice in Wonderland where she has to deal with the Red and White Queens on the chessboard stem from the actual red and white queens from British history, and not just mere chess pieces....

Gracen Miller said...

"Simon scowl" had me cracking up too. I could so hear it before you said it and then when you mentioned "Simon Cowell scowling" I chuckled loud enough that my 8 year old wanted to know what was so funny.

I've had this happen to me with a Johnanna Lindsey book, Fires of Winter, one of my all time favorite books. I read it many, many years ago, only skimming the first few chapters in the beginning because the backstory bored me to tears. Then when I became an official "stay at home mom" and a part-time "paralegal", I started re-reading all my Johnanna Lindsey books. The backstory to Fires of Winter suddenly intrigued me. I've read that one book 4 times now and...now that I'm thinking about it, I might read it again! LOL

Gracen Miller said...

Gah! I didn't mean to hit post yet. Blogger is jumping the gun! LOL

I was going to say before I hit publish by accident....I hope you're feeling better today, Carrie! ~huggles~

Kenzie Michaels said...

Fires of Winter...is that the one with a Phillipe, and the heroine let him deflower her?

Reason I ask is, my grandma had a Johanna Lindasy book. I saw it when I was ten, and the only thing I can remember is the heroine (Katherine???) asking Phillipe 'But it's so big; however will it fit?'

And the title had 'Fire' in it. Yes; that scene has been haunting me for thirty years!!! I left Grandma's house before I could read the rest!

Gracen Miller said...

LOL Nope, Fires of Winter had Brenna and Garrick in it. I've heard that line before though. It seemed to be a very popular saying once upon a time. LOL

It may have been Secret Fire. Heroine was Katherine and hero was Dimitri...although he went by a different name for a short period of time, so it could have been Phillipe. Can't remember. That sounds like soemthing stupid she would have said int his book. LOL

Carrie said...

You two are so funny lol!