Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, June 18, 2012

Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore: A Review





About the book:

Once you've seen, you can't unsee. Everything changes when you've looked at the world through . . .Angel Eyes

Brielle went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She's come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can't seem to shake.

Jake's the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what's going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.

A realm that only angels and demons-and Brielle-can perceive.




(Litfuse)




My Review:


First, I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I love stories about angels and so this book fulfilled that need nicely. On the other hand, I don't like the whole apocalyptic, end-of-the-world genre and this book kind of had that feel to it. There is a sense of darkness and despair throughout this book, but very little hope. That darkness makes this story very atmospheric, but sometimes it can be unrelenting. I wonder if this was the author's intent. If so, it was beyond effective, but for me, it was just too overwhelming after awhile. It got to the point where I kept wishing for the end of the book, and not necessarily for good reasons.


My misgivings aside, I did enjoy some aspects of the book. It was well written and descriptive, but in a way that drew the reader along into the story and just immersed them in the world of the characters. Speaking of the characters, I just adored Jake and Canaan. All I can say about them is - wow! Wish I had guardians like that. They are both simply amazing characters, extremely well drawn and so noble. I truly enjoyed reading every scene they were in and struggled right along with them. And Brielle is also a well-developed character that you can easily identify with, hope for and worry about. The struggles she endures will have you wondering how she keeps her sanity, even as she discovers some inner power she didn't know herself capable of. The way she grows in this power and just in maturity is handled in a normal, believable manner. Then there's Helene, who is just amazing in her righteousness and beauty of spirit - love her! Of course, every good hero needs a bad nemesis and Damien provides it with a relish unseen since the heyday of Hannibal Lector. This character really gave me the creeps and every time he was on the scene, I cringed for what was about to happen. Bravo, Miss Dittemore, you have created a villain worthy of the worst of the worst in literate and cinematic history.


All in all,this was a satisfying read and I will be curious to see what happens to these characters in the future. Okay, I have to admit I want to read more about one of my favorite characters - Canaan. Please, please, give me more Canaan, I would happily read a book just about him (hint, hint). But I really would like to know what happens with Jake and Brielle, too.


Final verdict: Angel Eyes is kind of like The Hunger Games for the angel set - at least that's the way I see it. Do yourself a favor, read it and make your own conclusion.

1 Moonbeams (comments):

Shannon Dittemore said...

Margay! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review Angel Eyes! You said it's like Hunger Games for the angel set and I just grinned like a fool. THANK YOU, friend.