Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

}Wistful Wednesday{
Christmas Presents

Hello, all of my fellow Moonlighters, Mayhem makers (you know who you are), and Lace weavers! Seasons Greetings!

I can hardly believe that it is already December 23rd and that tomorrow is Christmas Eve! As I know that many of you are busy with last minute details - as am I - and in light of the fact that I am off soon to get my daughter from college - I have her for the next month, Merry Christmas to me! - I am going to keep this brief.

Last week, I reminisced about Christmas past, so I thought it only appropriate to talk about Christmas present - or in this case, presents. As in the kind that you give. I am curious to know how the recession has changed the way you view Christmas this year. Do you find yourself having to scrimp and save to get the things your kids really want? Have you had to make the difficult decision of leaving some people off your list this year? How are you handling demand in light of the bad economy?

For me, it's with homemade gifts. In my spare time, when I'm not writing, I love to knit and crochet, so I always have a multitude of supplies hanging around the house - and if I don't have it, my mother does. So this year, I'm making more things for gifts than I ever have before. Luckily for me, my daughters love getting handmade things (I will give them some store bought things, too. Since they're my daughters, they get more than the others.), so there wasn't a lot of argument there when I told them it was going to a handmade Christmas this year.

What about you? Anybody venturing to make gifts this year in lieu of the store bought variety?

Until next time, have a wonderful, happy and safe holiday. ~ Margay

4 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

Our Christmas budget was reduced drastically. In years past, I've kept it around $1000 total (extended family included). This year, we sat the teens down and explained the main focus this year would be the kindergartener. Each teen is receiving maybe three gifts, while the youngest so far has about ten packages. For extended family members, I'm sending homemade cookies and a loaf of banana bread. It helps somewhat that my cousin is still going through a bitter divorce, so our gift-giving on that end has been restricted to the kids (she has two teens).

Several years ago, I got into the counted cross-stitch craze and gave out cutesy wall hangings or oven mitts. I still have a couple of half-finished projects tucked away in storage; maybe I'll dig them out for next year??

Margay Leah Justice said...

Well, Molly, hopefully everyone will understand that this year is going to be slimmer than previous ones because of the economy. And I like the idea of the counted cross stitch. Sounds like good gifts to me!
Margay

Gracen Miller said...

Personally I always love the homemade gifts the best because someone put time and effort into it. And I know for me my time is more precious than gold or money!

Yes, our Christmas will be slimmer this year as well. But it doesn't hurt anyone to have a slim Christmas.

I hope both of you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Stay safe!

~huggles~

Margay Leah Justice said...

Gracen, I always loved the homemade stuff, too - especially since I know what it takes to make them. Have a great holiday!
Margay