Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wistful Wednesday

Weather or Not

Greetings from my little corner of water-logged New England! As you may have already guessed from my title, I am going to talk about the weather and its connection to writing. I can't speak for other writers, of course, but I can say that I am one of those authors whose writing is - or more precisely, the pursuit of - is affected by what is happening beyond my window.

Let me explain. When the skies are gray and cry tears of rain for days on end, I have a tendency toward feeling sad, which may or may not lead to me putting my characters in depressing (for them) situations. It's difficult to write happy scenes when everything around you is just wet and gray. I know, I know, people in drought-ridden places are probably thinking, Why are you complaining? We need water! Well, on behalf of every person in Massachusetts and Rhode Island who now have water front property courtesy of Mother Nature, I say, Come and get some! We would gladly share.

Okay, side effect number two: All of this rain makes me kind of cranky. I apologize in advance and hope I don't offend anyone.

The flipside of all this rain is too much sun. And yes, New England is noted for its occasional heatwaves (okay, at least one a year). Contrary beings that we are, we New Englanders will be begging for a little rain once our temps hit the high mark for more than three days straight. So we're fickle. Some would say that's a good trait. For a New Englander - or anyone considering living in this little corner of the world - being adaptable is a necessity. With the way our weather fluctuates from one extreme to the other - sometimes within the same day - one has to be able to adjust to it. And quickly. If you don't, you could be caught unawares and nobody wants that. But how does too much of a good thing affect your writing, you might wonder. Simple: Who wants to write when they are melting from the sun?

So there are two examples of how the weather can affect what you write - or if you write. Can you think of any others? And how does the weather influence you and your pursuits? Please leave your thoughts in the comments and I promise I will take occasional breaks from building my Ark to read them.

10 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

'The Lord said to Noah to build an arky arky...'

Sorry...saw the floods on the news this morning and couldn't resist:)

Sometimes I do my best writing on a hot sunny day at the beach, believe it or not! I also came up with some pretty good stuff while at Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, sitting on a rock overlooking the water.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Molly, you crack me up! Yeah, I have to tell you that even the ducks in Massachusetts are looking at all the rain coming down and saying, "Seriously?"

And I am envious! Your writing outings sound so fun! Though, I don't know if I could get anything accomplished outside. I'd be too busy checking out the scenery.

Margay

Molly Daniels said...

Hahahaha...I started writing while in a dorm room, but got inspired while at my grandma's condo on Tampa Bay. I'd go out to 'The Point', sit on a bench, watch the tide go in and out, mullet jumping, boats coming and going, and write for hours. Ahhh to be 20 yrs old and have no responsibilities again...on second thought, go back to school? Hell no...on a third thought, this time I'd know the answers, hee hee!

Molly Daniels said...

'The animals they came on, they came on by twosies twosies...'

Margay Leah Justice said...

Okay, seriously, Molly, you are out of control - but I like it!
Margay

Molly Daniels said...

:PPPPP

'It rained and rained for forty daysies daysies...'

Come on, sing with me:)

Molly Daniels said...

'The animals they came off, they came off by threesies threesies...' (our personal addition, grin!)

'So rise and shine and give God the glory glory...'

Okay...if you won't sing with me, I'll shut up and go to bed...

Sheila Deeth said...

My son does his best to avoid weather by staying indoors all the time. But now he's a working man he has to go to the station every morning; he bundles up in his warmest clothes, whatever the weather, on the grounds that it's bound to rain soon.

Margay Leah Justice said...

So i guess the weather can affect how we feel about doing any kind of job!
Margay

Carrie said...

Weather is definitely a factor! I find I have ideas by the dozen when the spring thaw hits - seed planting.

Then I have only so much time to cultivate them - put them down on paper - before my world of Centurion 54 gobbles it up, taking the storyline for itself! HAHAHAHAHA!