Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wistful Wednesday

How Are YOU Surviving The Snow?


It seemed rather appropriate to me, given last week's post and more snow this week - and still yet more to come this weekend, grrr - that I do a follow-up post on what I do when I'm snowed in. Besides writing, that is. So here it is, what I do - knit hats! Kind of appropriate, don't you think? Since I love to knit and it's cold out there, I was inspired to knit myself a new hat. And not just any hat. No, I trolled the web until I found one that inspired me, called The Day's Eye Hat. I bet you want to see it, don't you? You will - but first, here are some pictures of the process:

The lovely yarn:






Just starting out, it looks kind of like this: 








And further on, it's like this:









And when it's done, it will look something like this:






I bet you're wondering how. Stay tuned! Will post pictures when it's done.




(Note: For anyone who's interested, they can see the pattern and more pictures of the hat here. Another note: I decided to use dpns for the beginning round because I tried it with the circular and didn't like the way it came out - yes, I knit pretty far into the pattern before I ripped it out and started over - and feel I have more control with the dpns.)

12 Moonbeams (comments):

thewriterslife said...

Oh wow you can make that?

Cheryl said...

My daughter wants to learn to knit, but I don't know how. When it snows, I read--or at least try to with all the screaming kids around here. :)

Rebecca said...

I still prefer crocheting over knitting. Knitting skills are very limited.

April said...

How adorable! I have always wanted to learn how to knit!! I think it would be so much fun and so relaxing. My crafting doesn't go much further the the chain in crocheting and cross-stitching, lol.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Admin, I'm going to try! Fortunately, I just made (over Christmas break) a very intricate hat for my older daughter, so this one should be a little easier (I hope).

Margay Leah Justice said...

Cheryl, there are a lot of websites out there that have tutorials, some with videos that are very helpful. Walmart also sells a learn to knit kit that's pretty cool - it comes with some of the basic supplies you need to start out plus an instruction booklet. You just need to provide the yarn. Target used to sell kits that came with yarn - you might be able to find those online, too.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Rebecca, I like to crochet, too,but I love the way knit stuff looks, especially for garments. Crochet items tend to be bulkier and I like the tighter weave of knit items.

Margay Leah Justice said...

April, knitting is so therapeutic. When I knit, I'm calmer. And if you're doing a pattern that requires the same stitch in repeat (such as garter - all knit - or stockinette - knit on one side, purl on the other)and don't have to consult the pattern for change all the time, it can really free the mind. I have worked out many a plot issue while knitting a stickinette cap!

Angela said...

I've never known how to knit or crochet...I barely sew. I am envious when I see the designs some people can create. It seems to require a lot of patience. I hate waiting for my email to send on a slow day ;-)

Mayra Calvani said...

I wish I had the patience to knit! :-)

Margay Leah Justice said...

Angela, knitting isn't as hard as some people think it is. If you can read and follow directions, once you learn the basic steps and what everything means (and there are knitting glossaries online to guide you), it's really quite fun!

Margay Leah Justice said...

Mayra, knitting teaches you something about patience, oddly enough.