Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Give and Take of Inspiration

As I travel the Internet on my self-designed virtual tour for the promotion of my debut novel, I am often asked variations of the same question: What inspired you to write? Or, what inspired you to write this book? Everybody wants to know what started it all. What started me on the path to publication and how the story idea came into being. I love answering these questions because inspiration plays a major role in everything we do. This is especially true for writers.

Well, recently, I was introduced to a different type of inspiration. Not the internal kind that affected my choices for career path and story ideas, but rather, an external form. I have become the inspiration for others. Just within the past two weeks, I have inspired two of my family members to write their own stories. One is my older daughter, who assured me that she still plans to attend college next year to pursue her degree in nursing, and the other is one of my nephews, who didn’t even like to read until he picked up my book. Not only did my book set him on a path to reading more, he was inspired to write his own!

Inspiration is a heady thing, whether you are on the receiving end of it or the one dishing it out. With inspiration, you can literally scale the heights of the world’s tallest mountain, explore the depths of the ocean, find the cure for cancer, or create a heart-breaking work of cinematic beauty. With inspiration, you can mold the mind of an eager child and encourage her to reach – or even surpass – the heights of her own imagination, to become whatever it is that she wants to become.

As I sit here writing this, I think about the legacy I want to leave behind for my children and their children when I’m no longer here. Inspiring others to try something new and reach for dreams they didn’t even know they had until they read my book is quite a legacy to leave behind.

What inspires you?

Margay Leah Justice

10 Moonbeams (comments):

Carrie said...

Nice blog Margay!

I would love to one day say that my work was able to encourage someone to read more and write their own stories!

You've got great start, so keep up with it!

Kenzie Michaels said...

My alter-ego, who blogs more than I do (hangs head in shame), wishes her Arbor U series to save at least one person from the pitfalls of bad choices.

If anyone who reads her books and recognizes the signs of addiction, a poor life choice, or whatever, in themselves or friends, and manages to get it stopped before spiraling out of control, she'll feel as if she's done her job well.

I'm also injecting some Life Lessons into my books; if the next one ever sees publication:)

Margay Leah Justice said...

Thank you, Carrie! I know, I am still floating on air. If you were to ask me which of my daughters would be more likely to write for publication one day, I would say the younger, more stingy-with-her-writing one. I never even knew my older daughter had the urge until she approached me about it. And then to have my nephew do the same - incredible! In his case, I don't know what pleases me more: That he wants to write himself or that I inspired him to want to read more after reading my book. Another win for literacy!

Margay

Margay Leah Justice said...

Kenzie, I think that is a wonderful goal and I wish you and your altar ego success with it.

Margay

Anonymous said...

What an honor to be able to inspire someone else...

People have inspired me - happenings, God working in my life in miraculous ways, a snippet that's so intriguing that it captures my imagination. I think it's different for each story.

Good post!

Margay Leah Justice said...

Thank you, Sherrie. If I had one wish, it would be that everyone could have the feeling that I did when I was approached by my daughter and nephew about their desires to write. It's an amazing feeling.
Margay

Sheila Deeth said...

What a lovely blog. I would love to inspire someone. My son wants to write, but he inspires me more than the other way around.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Yes, but if he wants to write, Sheila, you're already inspiring him.
Margay

Sierra Wolfe said...

How wonderful, Margay, to be able to say you've inspired someone to write! Good for you!! That is something you can cherish forever.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Thank you, Sierra. I am still floating on air about this.
Margay