Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tantalizing Tuesday


Please welcome fellow Noble author, Cherie DeSues. She's a busy woman with a couple of new releases out and another coming in a couple of weeks. Cherie is receiving great reviews for Lacy: A Bad Girl's Revenge and Tales of a Red Moon Clan. To read more about these two already released books, visit Cherie's website: http://www.cheriedesues2.com/

Now, let's get to the good stuff…dragging all of Cherie's deep, dark secrets out of her. *wicked grin* So, sit back, relax, get your favorite drink or even your favorite snack and enjoy getting to know Cherie.





~~~~~

GRACEN: August has few holidays and observances, but one stands out as interesting – Friendship Day. As the 1st is Friendship Day, what will you do (have you done) to celebrate the friendships in your life?

CHERIE: For me, a friendship goes beyond a lunch or quick drink in between my writing and promotions of my work. I try to support the bad days and good days as well. Whether I'm online or face-to-face, I try to support my friends.

GRACEN: Anyone special you’d like to recognize here and now?

CHERIE: Torri is a special friend who acts as my beta readers and gives me more support in my writing than I would have asked. She just lost her very aged mother, who was a sweet and tough soul. I liked her a lot.


GRACEN: Aww…we'll keep Torri in our thoughts as well. Speaking of friends, not all of our friends are human. Many of us have furry friends that enrich our lives in ways we don’t always notice. These friends don’t have to have fur, either, but scales or feathers. We’re talking about our pets, and writers tend to have pets. How many pets do you have, what kinds of pets are they and what are their names?

CHERIE: I devote all my time and energy into Reilly, my Irish terrier who walks me every two hours. Currently he has an interesting summer cut with lines across his furs that make him look like a lion instead of a dog. He loves it, and struts when we're outside. Too funny, but he's a people magnet. I've met some wonderful people in San Diego because of Reilly.

GRACEN: We all need a best friend like this! Before the Dog Whisperer, there was Geena Davis in, The Accidental Tourist, teaching a dog owner how to use positive and negative reinforcement to train his dog. How would you classify your animal handling skills? Are you the whisperer, the challenged animal handler in need of help or are you somewhere in between?

CHERIE: Reilly has the intelligence of an 8-9 year old kid for most things. He acts independently, gets his point across for food, water, trips outside and attention. He's loving and we negotiate for special treats, like longer walks, more cookies, and trips to the dog park/dog store. He prefers people food like veggies, sugar-free cookies and lean meat. I think he trained me.


GRACEN: They’re everywhere, on the Internet, in stores and in catalogues – costumes and pet clothing. How fanatical are you when it comes to clothing your pet? Do you dress your pet in clothing? How about kitty wigs (yes, these apparently do exist)? Any fun or interesting pet accessory or amenity you’d like to share with us?

CHERIE: I used a doggy raincoat on Reilly when San Diego was having some tough weather. But I soon learned that my lack of fear of the water was quickly imitated and he'll dance around in the rain and do his business in the water, thank you very much. I put a wrangler scarf around his neck and he gave me that look…the pathetic one with his head held down in shame when he looked in my full-length wardrobe mirror. I took it off and haven't messed with his natural charm since. We understand one another.


GRACEN: With all the different types of pet foods out there, it’s hard to know what’s really good for your pet or not. Purina has been around forever and continues to produce feed for all kinds of pets and livestock for roughly 100 years. Hill’s Science Diet came along a bit later and others have been popping up ever since. What brand do you use, and how did you come to that decision? (If you don’t have pets, what brand would you feed your pet and why?)

CHERIE: Reilly get a vitamin, and eats pretty much what I do. If I make a tuna fish sandwich, I make one up just for him. He likes variety and taste, dog food has neither in his opinion, he'd rather go without than eat dried nuggets or wet chunks of mystery meat. I've tried and he laid down staring at his bowl for hours. It was really pathetic.


GRACEN: What is the oddest pet you’ve ever had? Why did you choose that pet?

CHERIE: I've had a snake, fish, cats, dogs, horse, wolves, rats, ducks, and birds. They find me and I care for them until they move on or pass on to the next life. All animals have the capacity to touch you in such interesting ways with their humor and charm.


GRACEN: We’ve had our fun now, so let’s put the focus on your writing, Cherie…While there are many genres to choose from, what specifically brought you to romance? Why this genre over the others?

CHERIE: To write a book with sex or romance is incomplete. People have sex, want to have sex, or remember great sex. I write about real people between the ages of twenty-something and older. That's a time where romance is a big part of our lives and I bring in the suspense element to challenge my characters. I enjoy writing paranormal romance because I believe there are things in our world that are strange and unusual. Letting my characters fall in love while they discover the supernatural is a real kick.


GRACEN: I agree! There's nothing like a fantastic paranormal romance! Even though the popularity of the romance genre continues to grow, it’s still not always a highly respected genre. In fact, the recent movie, Letters to Juliet, just received only 2 stars from reviewers even though it’s a heart warming and enjoyable tale about a young woman who finds a note addressed to Juliet and responds to it, 50 years later! It’s worth at least 4/5 stars. What, in your opinion, is the reason for the continued interest in the genre and for the lack of respect it receives?

CHERIE: Fifty years ago, romance was a dime-store book for stay-at-home wives. The "bad rep" comes from a generation that believed these novels were a silly waste of time. With the deep characterization, deep point-of-view and scintillating plots, that's just not true any longer. But the old fossils of romance from the 50's and 60's are still breathing and condemning the genre. I think with the trend of spicier sex, thrillers, paranormal and sci-fi suspense romances, things are turning around. Young women are setting new standards for their choice in reading material and the big five publishers are listening!


GRACEN: A holiday mentioned above is Women’s Equality Day. While it took some tough ladies to endure some pretty crappy situations to get us here, there is still some work to go as women still struggle with equality in the work place. Do these struggles find their ways into your stories, or is equality something that just exists and is accepted? Give us some examples, please!

CHERIE: I'm old enough to remember when men tried to "put me in my place" as a woman. I'm ex-Navy, a doctor and an opinionated woman, and you'll find spit-fire women in my novels. I don't take any crap from a man and neither do my heroines. Men need to prove they are equal to woman in my eyes, not the other way around. When a man is allowed to bed one of my female characters, he's worthy…trust me.


GRACEN: For a writer, inspiration can be found everywhere and in almost anyone, but sometimes specific people, places and events can inspire certain characters, personality traits, events or situations that happen in our stories. In your current story that we’re promoting here today, The Seduction of Simone, did any one particular person, place or event inspire you? If so who/what was it (were they), how did it/they inspire you and how is this inspiration reflected in your story?

CHERIE: Wow, great question. I like the northern part of California and Oregon along the coast and many of my books will be centered there. Sequoia trees, a hundred feet in the air and a turbulent ocean churning ruthlessly on the shoreline. There are many isolated areas along the sea as you drive on the coast, so many things can happen. People interest me, whether they are arguing in public or laughing hysterically at lunch during a girl's day out. I use parts of what I experience and parts of my own personal experiences with people to create characters. My parents can be seen very clearly in "The Seduction of Simone". One is Wiccan the other Gypsy, so pulling them into the novel made sense and gave a realistic view of what living with them during my life was like.


GRACEN: Without giving away anything pertinent to the story, tell us about the hero and heroine (s) of your story. What do they look like? How do they meet (or “did” if this is not the first book with these same characters)? What are their personalities – Are they comical cut-ups, are they serious or are they a mix of the two? Please give us a little bit of dialogue from the story that can illustrate this. (Not much, but just a few lines and from a different section than the main excerpt – Thanks!)

CHERIE: Simone is a younger version of her aunt who's just died tragically by falling over the cliff near her estate. The man-next-door, Trent, is stunned by Simone's presence and her determination to start a new bed and breakfast business to facilitate her art of painting nudes. Two randy Irish ghosts are coming into Simone's dreamstate and the menage's are memorable. Here's a bit of dialogue:

"So question for question—what do you do, Simone?" He picked up his glass and waited for the information, as if her answer would be important.

She could give him the gritty truth or wrap her occupation up in some artsy and glamorous package. Simone decided to hit him between the eyes.

"I paint nudes, couples or single individuals who want art to reflect their love or immortalize their bodies." She kept her gaze on his, and he didn't even a blink. No gasp. Nothing.

"What an interesting vocation. Are your paintings lucrative?" His smile seemed indulgent.

She narrowed her eyes. "I get by. My clients fly in from all over the country, and sometimes I book international clients."

He rolled the wine in his glass and watched the deep-ruby liquid swirl. He was obviously thinking. She sat riveted to hear what he'd say next.

"I'd like to pose. Do you have any openings?"

Trent could have grown horns and a tail and Simone wouldn't have been more shocked. Why would he do this?

The skin rose hot on her cheeks. "I'll . . . um, check my schedule; my clients will start coming next week, but I may be able to fit you in later this month." She chewed her bottom lip and looked at her plate. Her hand trembled as she set the glass down. Maybe she wasn't as worldly as she thought.

GRACEN: The main characters are usually great, but sometimes, secondary and tertiary characters are known to steal the scenes, even if the author did not intend this to happen. Who are the secondary/tertiary characters in your story and what do they look like? What’s unique about them? What is their relationship to the hero/heroine? Have any of these characters gone on to become scene-stealers? If so, who and how did they do it? Is there the possibility for them to get their own story? (Again, please give us a small bit of dialogue to illustrate this – thanks!)

CHERIE: Simone's mother is Wiccan/witch and her father is a gypsy which in "The Seduction of Simone". Both are very useful to help Simone with two randy Irish Poltergeists and a serial killer.
Her father pointed to her mother as Simone slipped her cell back into her pocket.

"Well . . . Mom?"

Her mother handed a journal to her father and he walked to the copier. "I'm going to call the girls, dear."

"What? Are you talking about calling up the spirit world?"

Her mother smiled brazenly.

Simone winced. "Don't we have enough dead people in the house?"

"That's just rude, young lady. Your Great Aunts Agatha and Rose don't like the word dead; they prefer, the living challenged."

Thanks so much for joining us, Cherie! It's a pleasure and a joy to have you here. Best of continued success with your releases and upcoming releases!





BUY LINK


BLURB
:

Simone Devereux has inherited an estate on the Northern California coast after her Aunt Celeste meets with a sudden mysterious death. The hot neighbor, Trent Grayson, insists Celeste was murdered and wants to be more than the man-next-door.

When clients arrive to pose for their nude portrait over the weekend, Simone realizes she's inherited more than an estate. As two randy poltergeists enter her dreams for a lusty ménage and a budding serial killer threatens her sanity.

Now her Wiccan mother and Gypsy father are coming for a visit, just in time to watch her lose her heart and quite possibly . . . her life.


EXCERPT:

Simone took a deep breath and blew out slowly, before picking up her fork. The plate he'd prepared for her held homemade ravioli and thick pieces of garlic bread on the edges. The pasta smelled delicious; she couldn't wait for the first bite. She speared a tender piece of ravioli, then brought the cheesy-garlic to her mouth and chewed. She couldn't help the spontaneous hum of pleasure.

Simone chased the remarkable morsel with a sip of wine. The combination curled her toes. "Wow, this is good. What did you say the name of the restaurant was again?" She raised her eyes and found Trent watching her with a lazy smile.

Had he known she'd love the pasta?

"Luigi's, I'll make sure you have a delivery menu next time I'm in town."

He put a forkful in his mouth, then followed with the wine. With a quiet reverence, she proceeded to make a dent in the meal. She hadn't eaten for hours. To be fair to her guest, the food and Cabernet had been a wonderful gesture.

"Thank you for bringing dinner; I didn't realize I was so hungry." The way he gazed at her seemed familiar somehow, as if he may be very comfortable in her presence. "If you hadn't come, I would have been eating a granola bar and drinking bottled water."

Too true, she would have just eaten and gone to bed; there were so many things to do in the morning before the truck arrived.

"I'm grateful you were open to the suggestion; I really didn't know what kind of reception I'd receive. Celeste spoke of you but never mentioned you were her sole heir." He cleared his throat. "All of her photos and papers are in the library. She kept them in a cabinet close to her desk. I can show you after dinner, if you like." His gaze briefly left hers, as he cast a glance toward the library. Simone could feel his sudden grief, then a frown creased the middle of his forehead. "She kept a journal, and I know it's hidden around here somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where to begin looking."

Why would Celeste discuss her will with him? Was he an attorney?

"I'll take you up on that, thank you." Simone sipped more wine to bolster her courage. "So, what do you do for a living, Trent?"

He put his wine glass down and speared ravioli on his fork before answering. "I'm a security consultant for the government. There's an Army base close by where I work on occasion." He paused, put down his fork, then met her eyes. "I mainly use my computers in my office at home."

What did a security consultant and a gypsy tarot-card reader have in common?

"So question for question—what do you do, Simone?" He picked up his glass and waited for the information, as if her answer would be important.

She could give him the gritty truth or wrap her occupation up in some artsy and glamorous package. Simone decided to hit him between the eyes.

"I paint nudes, couples or single individuals who want art to reflect their love or immortalize their bodies." She kept her gaze on his, and he didn't even a blink. No gasp. Nothing.

"What an interesting vocation. Are your paintings lucrative?" His smile seemed indulgent.

She narrowed her eyes. "I get by. My clients fly in from all over the country, and sometimes I book international clients."

He rolled the wine in his glass and watched the deep-ruby liquid swirl. He was obviously thinking. She sat riveted to hear what he'd say next.

"I'd like to pose. Do you have any openings?"

Trent could have grown horns and a tail and Simone wouldn't have been more shocked. Why would he do this?

The skin rose hot on her cheeks. "I'll . . . um, check my schedule; my clients will start coming next week, but I may be able to fit you in later this month." She chewed her bottom lip and looked at her plate. Her hand trembled as she set the glass down. Maybe she wasn't as worldly as she thought.
Leave a comment and one lucky winner will receive one of Cherie's books!

0 Moonbeams (comments):