Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, October 12, 2009

Mystic Monday

Contest and Book Reviews

I'm in a hideously good mood today because I get to move on to Round 2 of the Paranormal Fight Club writing contest!  Thanks to everyone who voted for me and voted in general!

I wasn't sure what to really blog about today, but recent events have put book reviews front and center, so I thought I would appeal to all of our readers out here and ask:

What do you like to see from a book review?  

Do you need the x/y (stars, cheese wheels, pennies, fangs, etc.)?

What's more important to you when it comes to a book review - a breakdown of the plot or are you more concerned with the characters and if the author succeeds in engaging the reader from the beginning to end?  

What's your opinion on reviews that contain plot spoilers?  Do you love them or hate them?  
 What does the ideal book review tell you?  

Please take the time to answer these questions, so that we can ensure that we are providing you, our readers, with book reviews that you want to read!  

Thanks!   

2 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

Good morning Carrie:) Snoopy dancing for your advancing to Round #2!

As for the reviews of my book, I like to know if I've kept the reader scrolling/turning pages to the end. To me, that is the true sign of a book well written. If I have no problems putting a book down and returning to it a few days later, then it's not holding my attention. This does NOT count if LIFE has interfered, and I'm itching to get back to my computer, or if I've no time to read the print version. I'm talking about the ones where I have the time, I just don't get that 'urge' to pick it up at the first opportunity. Make any sense?

Plot spoilers bother me, if I happen to read the review too close to the time I'm reading it. But I usually don't care, as I'm 6 months to a year behind on the release dates! I call it 'spreading out your royalties'. An unexpected check in the mail? 'Ah-ha....Molly must have finally bought my book:)'

Sheila Deeth said...

Woohoo!!! Congratulations on round two!

I don't like spoilers in book reviews - I might want to read the book. But I like to know how the characters and story engaged the reader, which kind of means learning something about the reader too, so I can judge how they would engage me.