Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Please Welcome Author...K.T. Bishop!!


Everyone Welcome Author...K.T. Bishop!

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us! K.T.’s debut novel is Picking Cotton, an Interracial Sports Romance novel, will be released on April 16 by Red Rose Publishing.

Readers can check out my websites at www.myspace.com/kenibird and http://www.kenibird.blogspot.com/

1. How do you feel with the book coming out?

K.T.: A little relieved. It’s been a long time coming. I wrote this book during the Fourth of July in 2007. An E-book company rejected me five months later. I got encouragement by a fellow author to not give up and rewrite it. Three months later, I submitted it to Red Rose and here I am.

2. Do you see any significance to the release date?

K.T.: Yeah, there’s some symbolism. Exactly a year ago, Wendi Felter, Publisher of Red Rose sent me a contract for the book. Guess you can say it’s my one-year anniversary (LOL).

3. Is being an author your full time job?

K.T.: No. I began my career as a sportswriter at a Deep South newspaper in the early 1990’s. I still have that profession as my day job. With this recession, I’m scared we may end up as cut bait like other newspapers across the country.

4. How did you end up on this side of the business?

K.T.: I’ve always wanted to write a book. I really enjoy this side of the genre. I’ve always read romance novels in the Book Stores, where the people wanted to kick me out for not buying anything (LOL).

5. What was the reason behind writing a football romance?

K.T.: Football has a lot of interesting storylines, especially with the quarterback and cheerleader. They are the two most popular people in school.

6. Interracial romance seems to be selling at an all-time high.

K.T.: There are some many multi-cultural and bi-racial stories out there via e-books or in print. It’s red-hot right now. I’m honored that Red Rose has given me a chance to be part of it.

7. What makes the Cotton book different?

K.T.: I’ve seen countless interracial romance angles between white men and black women. Rarely have I seen any about the black men/ white women. The white woman/black man has been discussed on talk shows, but never put into a book.

8. Do you have any advice to fledgling authors?

K.T.: Don’t get discouraged about getting your manuscript rejected. Rejection is part of the business. I’m working on a history book about the black QB’s in the Canadian Football League. I’ve built up enough nerve to write and not get weary of being rejected.

9. The$ 64,000 question-- Tell us about PICKING COTTON

K.T.: The interracial football romance story takes place in the summer of 1985 where M.L. Cotton begins his dream of becoming a Division I-A quarterback at a Deep South school from Spanish Fort, Alabama. It’s the first book in the Cotton Series.

10. What’s your writing process?

K.T.: It depends where I am. If I’m covering a game near my office, I usually jot things down on paper and type them in later. If I’m out of town working, I put them into the computer and email myself. Ideas for storylines and plotlines have entered into my head virtually from everywhere. I’ve made notes in restaurants on paper napkins. I even keep a notepad near my bed, in case something comes to me during the middle of the night. I have three nieces between the ages of seven-months, four- and seven-year-old. When I am writing a scene or scribbling to build one, they often sit in my lap and write on my paper. Believe it or not, some of my best ideas come from them interfering.

Bonus round: Can you give us an excerpt of your book:

ML was headed out to find Jennifer, just as Randy emerged from the bathroom.

“Hey where you going partner.”

“I’m going to find this girl I met today named Jennifer.”

“You talking about that cheerleading exhibit on the other side?”

“I guess so.”

“My girlfriend’s over there; I was going to take her out to eat dinner. You can come.”

The idea of a three-some appealed to him about as much as getting a root canal. Jennifer was the only thing on his mind.

The duo drove to the girls’ dorm in Randy’s pick-up truck. He asked for Monica Talbert at the front desk. The five-foot-six blonde emerged from the elevator, softly kissing Randy.

“This is my roommate, ML Cotton, and he’s gonna join us for dinner, if that’s cool.”

Monica asked the two quarterbacks if her roommate could accompany them. “I don’t want to leave her alone.”

Randy nodded in approval.

ML said, “Why not, I have nothing to lose.”

His heart pounded like a bass drum when Monica introduced Jennifer to him and Randy. It was his second encounter with the long-legged goddess. Once again, he turned into a statue in her presence.

He saw the recognition in her eyes and began stuttering, “Y-you’re that girl who gave me directions today.”

She giggled and extended her hand. “I’m Jennifer Monet’, and you are…”

Remaining in a Zombie-like trance, Randy wound up introducing them both.


“I’m Randy Fonte, and this is ML Cotton of Spanish Fort, Alabama . It’s our pleasure to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you both.”

He didn’t even notice when Randy snapped his fingers in front of his eyes. He was locked into Jennifer like a kid in a candy store. He admired everything about her, especially her tight blue jean shorts with a white low-cut blouse.

Jennifer abruptly ended his silence, bellowing, “Yo, I’m hungry, let’s get the hell out of here.”

“Uh, wait here. I need to go get the car; we all can’t fit into his truck.”

While riding back across campus, Randy offered advice on this sweltering evening.

“Get it together buddy.”

“I’ve never seen anyone so pretty before. She almost made me forget why I’m at this camp.”

“Just be yourself, and you’ll be fine.” Waiting for the guys to return, Monica teased Jennifer about a secret admirer, “someone has a crush on you, doo-dah, doo-dah.”

“Oh great, I have a guy who’ll stare at me all night and a badly singing roommate.”

13 Moonbeams (comments):

Gracen Miller said...

Morning, K.T.! *waves* Thanks for blogging with us today! I'm so excited for you and your debut novel! Your book interests me for more than one reason. First, as you know, I love college football. How can I not growing up in the south, right? *laughs* Second, I admit, I've never read a romance written from a male's point of view so I'm curious. From your excerpt it seems very well written and I'm excited to read more!

Good luck! And don't be a stranger. We'd love to have you back.

Sierra Wolfe said...

Great interview, K.T. I enjoyed reading it, and your snippet! Thanks for sharing with us. Good luck with your book!!!

K.T. Bishop said...

I am more than honored to be one of your first authors. People will really enjoy this book, especially those who love Football! As many people once said, "football is a religion down south.''

Wendi said...

Congratulations on your release, K.T.! It sounds great! I love stories set in the South. I'll have to go pick up a copy. :)

Wendi Darlin

Sheila Deeth said...

Your book sounds interesting to me because it's so not my background or culture. Congratulations. And great interview.

Gracen Miller said...

Congrats to Sierra Wolfe for winning the Golden Cyber Kiss and to Wendi Darlin for winning the Cyber Cookie Kiss today! *laughs* Sorry I couldn't give you real ones, but you have the bragging rights for the rest of the day anyway. :D

K.T., you are soooooo right. Football IS a religion here. You have to pick a team...it's Alabama or Auburn here in Alabama. You can cheer for others, but you have to commit to one of those and we don't care if you're from this state or not. You gotta pick even if you come from Michigan, Toronto, Brazil and we don't much care if you hate football, you STILL have to pick a team. LOL It's zany, neurotic, zealous, wacky and growing up in it, I love it! I can't imagine how crazy we seem to transplanters.

My mom's a Damn Yankee (as she puts it, she's a "damn" one because she moved here and stayed - LOL), and after almost 40 years of living here, she's finally starting to get it and has FINALLY picked a team. She just picked the wrong one. ROFL I think she picked Auburn just to irritate my boys. *rolls eyes* They sure have fun picking on each other about it too.

This past season was a riot with Alabama doing so well and Auburn so poorly. My boys would call my mother and scream "Roll Tide" and hang up on her. And of course, she'd just call back and scream "War Eagle" and then hang up on them. And then when Alabama lost the Sugar Bowl...*rolls eyes heavily*...it got BBBAAADDD here between my mom and my boys. LOL It was all in good fun at least.

Margay Leah Justice said...

K.T., thanks so much for interviewing with us today. As a writer myself, I am very interested in the story behind the story - how the idea came about, the journey to publication, etc. Thank you for sharing your story with us today and good luck with the book. It sounds fascinating!

Margay

Raven Starr said...

Great Interview. I can't wait till the second comes out.
Love it, K.T.
Hugs,
Raven

Sandy said...

Hey, K.T., another great interview. Love the excerpt.

Hugs,
Sandy

Delores Walker said...

It is great to incorporate all the things you know about. I like the music references it takes me back.

Yvonne Eve Walus said...

Multi-cultural romances are my absolute favourite, particularly the black man / white woman scenario. As you point out in the interview, they are rather rare.

Eve Summers aka Yvonne Walus
http://yewalus.kiwiwebhost.net.nz/Eve-Summers.htm

Leah Vaughn said...

Very Exciting Interview KT!!! I can't wat to get this book!!!

Leah V.

Nancy Famolari said...

Great interview, KT glad to see you're back with a new novel. You're invited to my blog anytime!!