Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Friday, May 15, 2009

Please Welcome Author...Kenzie Michaels!!

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us. Kenzie’s first release is All She Ever Wanted, which arrives Tuesday, May 19th. Her books can be found at www.freyasbower.com and www.mollydaniels.com

1. When/how did you know you wanted to write?

Kenzie: My imagination was ‘unlocked’ at age eleven, when a student teacher in my 5th grade class introduced us to the concept of listening to an instrumental song and writing down whatever happened to pop into our heads. My dad had just taken me to see Logan’s Run, and so what ended up on my paper was my first attempt at a sci-fi story. Not pretty!

My first attempt at something longer than two pages occurred in the ninth grade. I decided to write my own ending to Star Wars. Forget the fact Darth Vader had dropped a bombshell on Luke; I focused on getting Han and Leia back together! Again, proof I should stay away from sci-fi and stick to romance!

2. How long did it take you to become published?

Kenzie: I started communicating with a group of Indiana authors, who led me to a much larger group of e-book authors, in 2007. I was intrigued by the erotic romance genre; read many of these ladies’ books, and began writing my own stories. Last July, I wrote a short story for an Ellora’s Cave anthology submission, but it was rejected. Instead of being depressed by the rejection, I turned around and sent it off to Freya’s Bower, who three weeks later offered me a conditional contract; the editor felt the plot was rushed, and wanted the story expanded. I added a few more chapters and at the end of January was offered the contract. Now, four short months later, it’s being released! So actually it took less than a year, which is rare.

3. Who are some of your favorite authors?

Kenzie: I’m an eclectic reader. My favorite print authors vary from Nora Roberts, Lavryl Spencer, Michael Palmer, James Patterson, and Marion Keys. Right now my favorite e-book authors are Anny Cook, Kelly Kirch, Barbara Huffert, Dakota Rebel, Bronwyn Green, Brynn Paulin, Regina Carlysle, and Cindy Spencer Pape. And my TBB (to be bought) list is back under control at two pages.

4. Many authors are doing strictly e-books, do you think this is just a trend, or does it spell the end of real books?

Kenzie: E-books are real books. They are simply read electronically, via either a hand-held device or on the computer screen. And some e-books are now being offered in print. So no, I don’t think it’s simply a trend. E-books are cheaper, and with today’s economy, easier on the wallet, LOL! Also, the publishing time is faster, and with things going ‘Green’ right now, e-books are very environmentally friendly. They take up space on your hard drive, not your bookshelves. Kids won’t have to carry heavy backpacks; they’ll simply carry a flash drive to school.

5. How long does it take for you to write books?

Kenzie: This may seem weird, but I wrote most of All She Ever Wanted over the July 4th weekend. It just so happened the words were flowing, and I had uninterrupted work time:) Two other wips each took a month to write, and I have six other wips which have stalled on the second chapter. So who knows when my muse will return? I just hope it is soon!

6. Do you see yourself writing in the same genre in 10 years? If not then what?

Kenzie: Funny you should ask that. I had a character jump into my head about a month ago, demanding I write down what he was saying. I didn’t know what to do with it after I was finished, so I sent it to a friend of mine, who passed it to a friend of his, who them emailed me, saying he totally saw zombies in the next scene! I wrote him back, saying ‘You want zombies? YOU write it!’ And so it’s become a collaboration between the three of us. If this one gets published, I may end up a horror writer on top of erotic romance!

But I love contemporary romance, so yeah, I’ll stick with it. Even if some of what I’m writing ends up with my alter-ego as Women’s Fiction.

7. What advice do you give to those who are just starting out or trying to become published?

Kenzie: Keep writing; never give up on your dream. And ask for help…get online; find a writer’s group and ask questions! And don’t get discouraged if things start out rocky. Just keep trying; your time will come

8. Where do your story ideas come from? Do you use people you know as characters sometimes or even sometimes a certain event from real life happenings?

Kenzie: A lot of my stories are pulled from real life ‘What If’ instances. Teacher’s Pet, which was my NaNo project last year, came about because of my children’s school hiring the most handsome man…and my son had him for Social Studies. I went into the parent-teacher conference praying I was sounding like an adult, rather than a schoolgirl with a huge crush. My other ideas have popped into my head while out shopping and overheard part of a conversation; at the amusement park; or simply brainstorming with my critique group. All She Ever Wanted, Off The Clock, and Appetite For Desire were all formed while cooking different meals. Maybe I just need to get myself back in front of the stove, ha ha?

The book Wild at Heart came about because of a news item on the radio. I was driving to visit my MIL and a blurb came on about prisoners being rehabilitated. Next thing I know, I have a character in my head, telling me what he had done and how he planned to turn his life around! He yelled at me for two weeks until I could finally sit down and write it!

9. When and where can we purchase your books?

Kenzie: Here’s the preview link:
http://www.freyasbower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=208

It will be released next Tuesday, May 19th at Freya’s Bower.

Thanks for having me, Gracen, and for giving up your normal blogging day!

18 Moonbeams (comments):

Regina Carlysle said...

Wonderful interview, ladies and Kenzie, I look forward to your release on Tuesday! Yay for you on sticking with it and not giving up.

kaenar said...

I'm so delighted your book is coming out Tuesday. Can't wait to read it. All that hard work finally pays off. Congratulations.

Carrie said...

Hey Molly,

Who didn't try to put Han and Leia back together! Of course, they made their way eventually and, as far as the story goes, they had children together.

I too had an English enrichment course in grade school and it was those two teachers, Ellen Hunnicutt and David Kalustian (spelling?) who did their best to encourage my talent but I was too young to appreciate what they were telling me.

It just goes to show how important it is to introduce kids to all kinds of creative vices at early ages!

Carrie

Mary said...

Congratulations on the release coming up! I really enjoyed the interview.
Mary

Kenzie Michaels said...

Thank you Reg and Kaenar! I'm getting excited about Tuesday, and telling everyone about it, but at the same time, terrified! Goes with the business, I guess:)

Carrie, I love the elementary program which students in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th grades write and illustrate their stories, and publish them. My daughter's proud that she also has a book in print!

Gracen Miller said...

Congratulations on your upcoming release, Kenzie! I'm excited for you and I hope everything goes well Tuesday!

I was a Luke Skywalker girl, but who didn't love Han Solo and Princess Leia's romance.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Kenzie Michaels said...

Hahaha...the 2nd and 3rd time I saw Star Wars, I just drooled over Luke. But the 4th...I was a devoted Han fan:) Saw that movie 28 times the first year it was out; kept badgering my dad to take me with him. He took all his friends to see it, one at a time:)

Carrie said...

Well, I started out with the Luke doll until my sister was finished with Han, then I got him! Boy were all my Barbies very happy!

He was much better than Ken!

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Congrats on the upcoming release, Kenzie! Great interview.

Bronwyn Green said...

Awesome interview, ladies. :)

I'm so excited about your book - can't wait to read it!

BTW, I haven't thought about Logan's Run in years! Thanks for the memories :)

Kenzie Michaels said...

Thanks Mary, Cindy, and Bron! I saw Logan's Run again a few years ago, and it was astonishing how much went over my head at age 11!

Mona Risk said...

Congratulations on the upcoming book, Kenzie. Your perseverance paid off.

Sheila Deeth said...

Congratulations. I'd always thought I'd never read e-books, but they are real, and sitting at a computer to read's not so bad when the story transports me somewhere else.

Kenzie Michaels said...

Hi Mona:) Glad you stopped by! I left you a comment on your chat last night.

Sheila, I'm looking forward to getting an e-reader. And until then, a good e-book makes me forget about housework, lol!

Unknown said...

Great interview and I can't wait to read the book. I've turned rejections into acceptances other places, too.

Cool golden lips, y'all.

Kenzie Michaels said...

Thanks for stopping by, Ash! I really hope everyone who does read it will like it:) (fingers crossed anxiously!)

Phoenix said...

Hey Kenzie, thanks for the nod. :) Maybe soon you can add Marstad to that list.

In the meantime, good luck with your upcoming release. It's pretty cool to watch you from prepub to pub. Way to go!

Margay Leah Justice said...

I love reading about how other authors got caught up in this wonderful world we call writing. So thank you for sharing your story with us today, Kenzie, and congratulations on you new release.
Margay