Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, January 11, 2010

Mystic Monday

Monkey See, Monkey Do and Subliminal Messages!

How conditioned are you to do things?

I ask because there was a funny incident at the last Milwaukee Bucks home game. The Bucks had the ball, but the Squad 6 leader was a bit off hit game and started doing a "DEFENSE" drum beat, to which half of us actually started chanting "DE-FENSE!" before any of us actually noticed what was going on! That's how ingrained the cheers are, that we can do them on autopilot.

The problem is, this wasn't the first time there have been chant snafus at the Bradley Center during Bucks games. I've usually been quicker to pick up the mistake than I was this last home game, but when I take this into consideration with some other instances not related to Bucks games, I have to wonder how much of a trained monkey I'm becoming.

For example, I love to watch Ace of Cakes, but every time I do, I want to make a cake. When I watch Unwrapped, another Food Network program, I generally want to eat the subject of the episode - as long as it won't put me into anaphylactic shock.

This is not good because I am trying to change my eating habits, and cake, candy and junk food are not going to help me succeed in this. But that isn't the only thing I noticed. After watching the Iron Chef, I found that I wanted to cut up vegetables and cook them in some weird concoction.

This is really, really bizarre for me because I am allergic to all vegetables (except for corn that I've noticed), and I can't eat them.

So why would I really want to cook them?

I'm not sure, but I have just one more weird instance to bring to light, and it has to do with the Joy Behar show. One of her segments discussed the difference between pack rats and hoarders. It showed videos of people with all kinds of garbage all over their house that they just couldn't throw away.

I said to myself, "I'm not a hoarder!" and I took one look around and saw all the garbage that I just put off throwing away because I felt so miserable for so long, and I had all sort so of stuff to do, or at least those were my excuses.

After I took that good long look around the house, I began to clean the house and proceeded to throw away all the garbage I could find. Then my husband and I decided to clean the garage - as a result of cleaning spree. [During this venture, I stumbled into a pile of dust and proceeded to get sick, really sick. My hatred of cleaning was confirmed. Okay, not hatred of cleaning, just hatred of dust. It shouldn't be around because it makes me so sick, yet I'm not supposed to clean it either, because it makes me so sick.]

I want to know what in heck is going on! I swear it must be subliminal messages!

What do you think?

8 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

LOL:) I notice the 'cleaning' binges come after I've spent several days in a hotel or hospital. I realize I don't need all that clutter:)

I'm with you on the Food Network: AOC and IC make me HUNGRY!

And if I knew I needed to buckle down in school, Anne of Green Gables always motivated me to study:)

Carrie said...

I never needed motivation in school. That stuff just sort of "came" to me....

Sheila Deeth said...

Food programs always have so many things I can't eat they just put me off. But show we a chocolate bar...

Carrie said...

I hear ya there Sheila!

Molly Daniels said...

I earned B's w/o trying. Reading Anne motivated me to actually strive for the A's:)

Carrie said...

See, I could earn A's without trying in some classes with the exception of math. If I wasn't living my senior year of high school in a fog (from the death of a best friend and a grandparent), I might have graduated in the top ten instead of the top 15. That year I dropped from number 9 to number 13.... But it was still a good showing!

Unknown said...

I think this is darn fine writing.And those of us who pre-read know some of her steamier scenes are in the works!

Carrie said...

Hi Rebecca,

I think you meant to post this on Kenzie's blog post! Ooops!