Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rites of Passage Part II

Not long ago, I wrote about how I had to get through the Baccalaureate ceremonies at my daughter's school. And how I just barely made it through without becoming a blubbering mess. Which made me believe that I was going to be a total embarrassment come graduation. What can I say? I am a very empathic person and I feel things deeply. And when I do, I cry.

I am happy to report, however, that I made it through the graduation without embarrassing myself or, more important, my daughter. Yes, there were times when I nearly lost it, like when my daughter won an award for "dedication, perseverance and loyalty" to her school (one of the most prestigious, according to my aunt, who drove up from Pennsylvania for the ceremony) and when her name was called for the diploma, of course. But, all in all, I somehow managed to keep it together. And I am so glad I did because I would have missed so much if I didn't. I would have missed how surprised she was when she received that award, how proud she was when she accepted her diploma, how thrilled she was when she saw how many people came to her party to celebrate with her.

Graduation. It is the one rite of passage we all think is "somewhere off in the future," but it comes around sooner than we think. One day, we are putting our little girls and boys on the bus for their first day of kindergarten and the next, we are watching them file out of their school for the last time after receiving their diplomas. The times between may seem long when you're a new parent, but they rush past in a flash, so enjoy every minute of it while you can. Before you know it, you will be dropping them off at college.

So to the members of the Class of 2009, from Hudson, Massachusetts (go, Leah, Catie, Katie, Shayna, Corinne and Julia!) to Los Angeles, California and everywhere in between, my heartfelt congratulations. It was a rollicking twelve years of work, study, projects, dances, games, parents' night, science fairs, class trips, snow balls and prom, but you made it through and the future is just waiting for you to transform it. I wish you all the best of luck in all of your endeavors and I know that you will continue to make your parents proud.

Please feel free to share you graduation stories here. Let's all celebrate the wonders of parenthood and the joys of raising these bright and wondrous people who are going to make their mark on the world. ~ Margay Leah Justice, incredibly proud mother of Leah.

6 Moonbeams (comments):

Sheila Deeth said...

What a wonderful day! Like watching the child birth the adult.

Of course, mine are all guys, and only walked because they knew we wanted to see them. They'd rather just get a letter in the mail.

Carrie said...

lol..Sheila, you know it!

Graduation is also called commencement because it is the beginning of your lives as adults. I hope all goes well and your daughter finds her path a lot easier than I did mine!

Carrie

Margay Leah Justice said...

Sheila, you crack me up! I think the guys at my daughter's school would probably have appreciated that because there were so many more girls in the graduating class than boys and they called all of the girls' names first, then the boys. That must have been the longest wait for them!
Margay

Margay Leah Justice said...

Carrie, you're so sweet. Well, my daughter found her path when she was about four and she was "supervising" her younger sister's medicine intake (she had a seizure disorder), which consisted of a "Mom, she didn't drink it all." She decided then she wanted to pursue medicine. The only thing that has changed is that instead of being a doctor (she's a follower not a leader - her words), she's going to be a nurse. And she's going to a great school, so the education is going to be top-notch.
Margay

Leah said...

Just re-discovered this in my email. "I am a follower, not a leader." My how things have changed!

Margay Leah Justice said...

Haha, Leah, you are definitely embarking on leadership territory!