Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Making Mayhem with Delilah Marvelle

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us! Delilah Marvelle’s newest release is LORD OF PLEASURE. His/Her full length historical romance novel is available in paperback August 4, 2009!

Read to the end to find out how you can win an e-arc of the first book in the School of Gallantry series, Mistress of Pleasure!


Places to find Delilah on the 'Net:


My blog that explores Sex Throughout History

www.DelilahMarvelle.blogspot.com

My website: www.DelilahMarvelle.com

Myspace: www.myspace.com/DelilahMarvelle



Books can be purchased anywhere books are sold. Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, Borders.





When/how did you know you wanted to write?

Ever since my father read me my first fairy tale, I knew I was hooked on the “what if.”

How long did it take you to become published?

I feel like you're asking for my age, LOL. Truth be told, it took me 11 years and over 200 rejections before I finally got my first contract.

How long does it usually take for you to research a book? Write the book?

I am always researching, whether I am writing or not. I have come to terms that 1830 is the era I will stick with. As I have collected far too many books and done far too much research to leave it behind. It makes writing each book easier in some ways when you stay within the same era. You aren't stopping every two second to see if you're being historically accurate. As far as writing the book, it depends on my mood. I'm usually a pretty fast writer. I can write a 400 page manuscript in 3-4 weeks. Of course, I then spend another 3-4 weeks cleaning it up.

Is there any character in your books that you can really relate to?

I have to say the one person I can really relate to out of all my characters is Madame de Maitenon who is the elderly retired courtesan heading the School of Gallantry (which is a school that educates men on the topic of love and seduction). She's been through a lot in life, lost a son, has been degraded for who and what she is, and yet there is a pride and self-respect within her that I admire so much. I've been through a lot during my life and being able to keep self respect after everyone drags you through the mud is really something not only to be proud of, but something I can relate to.


What advice do you give to those who are just starting out or trying to become published?

This industry is a tough one. Be prepared by honing your skills not just in writing but the business aspect. Getting published is just the beginning of a lifelong journey. There are so many obstacles, you really have to be mentally prepared for it. Regardless, don't ever give up on your dream of being published. There is lots of room for new authors in this industry, but take the time to brand yourself. Meaning, stick with the one genre you love most and go for it. Define yourself and your writing in a way no other writer would be able to. That is what is going to ultimately sell you.

Where do your story ideas come from? Do you use people you know as characters sometimes or even sometimes a certain event from real life happenings?

I get a lot of my ideas from researching. So many amazing things happened in history and truth is in fact stranger than fiction. All my characters are pieced together from people I actually know or figures in history. All writing is inspired by reality, my characters are proof of that.

You just recently were published. How does it make you feel?

After trying to get published for 11 years, it was like I won the freakin' lottery. It was amazing. Beyond amazing.

Getting back to your books coming out soon. Tell us a little about what to expect from them.

If you like tons of humor, character driven stories with great sex against the backdrop of history, then I'm your gal. I don't like writing about villains because in reality, we don't meet villains on a daily basis. We are our own villains. And I play with that. A lot.

When and where can we purchase your books?

August 4th is when Lord of Pleasure comes out and you can buy it anywhere where books are sold.


What are you reading right now?

I am actually re-reading Jane Eyre right now by Charlotte Bronte. I read it last when I was in high school and really wanted to revisit it.

Are there any authors (living or dead) that you would name as influences?

Edith Wharton, Charlotte Bronte, Shakespeare, Jane Austen and Judith McNaught. To name a few.

What was the book that most influenced your life — and why?

Without a doubt, Jane Erye. Mostly because I related to Jane having a stepmother who was verbally and physically abusive toward me. It made me believe that despite so many horrible things that happened to Jane, in the end, Jane rose above it all by being steadfast.

If you had a book club, what would it be reading — and why?

I would have a historical based book club. And we would alternate between romance, fiction and non-fiction. I am obsessed with anything historical but try to be well rounded enough not to focus on just one aspect of it.

What are your favorite books to give — and get — as gifts?

Anything historical. It doesn't matter if it's non-fiction, fiction, romance, paranormal, it's all good.

Give us three "Good to Know" facts about you.

*I believed in Santa Claus until I was 14. No kidding. My imagination has always gotten the better of me and I always had a tendency to want to convince myself that magic did in fact exist.
*The longest book I ever wrote was 800 pages long. Single spaced. It was my first attempt at writing a full length book and I simply couldn't find a way to end it. So I kept writing and writing and writing. It was about the origin of vampires. I cringe just thinking about it but it allowed me to discover the joy of writing.

*I met my husband at a Halloween party. That night I went home and wrote in my journal that he was the man I was going to marry. Lo and behold, I was right. My gut feelings and my writing never lead me astray, LOL.


What else do you want your readers to know?

I love to paint, run (I do five mile runs every other day), cook (I'm a chef by trade, hence the running is *very* necessary, LOL), do kickboxing and love to collect first edition and out of print books pertaining to history. My favorite way to unwind? With my hubbie and my kids.

What are your experiences with publishers and agents?

Having been in the industry for 13 years, I can readily say that this industry isn't just about being creative. It's about endurance. Publishers and agents want the moon and the stars from their authors. And it's up to you to deliver. Because in the end, it's a business. And you are the product. Once you look at it that way, dealing with publishers and agents becomes a lot easier.

What will the role of the Internet play in the future of publishing?

I think it's already playing a huge role. It's bringing readers together, creating communities that otherwise would not have existed. E-books is going to be the future, which environmentally I am all about.

What's your next project?

I have officially started two more series but I am keeping it hush, hush until I get another publisher. Which hopefully will be soon.

Why did you choose your genre?

I have always loved fairy tales. Always. And historical romance simply falls into that whole fairy tale aspect.

Have you ever gotten to a point where a story wouldn't come? If so, how did you get back on track?

I've never had writer's block – knock on wood. Hopefully I'll be prepared for it when it does come...

What do you think is the most important characteristic of a prolific writer?
Being able to keep to a schedule without allowing life to get in the way.

If you could choose one thing to be remembered by, what would it be?

Humor. I love to make people laugh.

How do you come up with original story lines?

There are no original story lines, sadly. Just original presentations. My upbringing and experiences allow me to give an angle that makes it unique. That's what every writer brings to the table.

Some authors start out with a plot in mind, others with characters whom they’ll follow to reveal the theme. What works best for you and why?

I have a concept and the hero and heroine. That's it. Then I sit down and write and get to know the characters and the plot that way. Obviously, I eventually have to plot things out, but I prefer not to. Because if I know how the story is going to play out, I get bored and don't want to write it. I want to be as equally surprised by my characetsr as my readers.

Do you use a pseudonym? More than one? Why?

Delilah is my real name. Marvelle is not. The reason I use a pseudonym is to protect myself and my family. With the internet, the world comes knocking a bit too much.

Many writers have had success writing in different genres. Do you think it is difficult to switch over to another genre?

It's only difficult because in some ways you're starting over when it comes to building your audience. Unless of course you're Nora Roberts. Then that's entirely different. Even though she is writing as J.D.Robb she brings her other audience by announcing on the cover that she is in fact Nora Roberts.

When did you start writing?

I've been writing ever since I could remember.

Where did you receive your most valuable lessons in becoming a writer?

Life offers the most valuable of lessons. When Hemingway was once asked what makes for a great writer, his response was, “An unhappy childhood.” And truer words have never been spoken. There is a reason why writers write. They have a story to tell and have experienced things in life that no one else has.

Do you belong to a critique group or have a critique partner? Which do you prefer?

I have two Critique partners, which I prefer. Anything more than that and I feel I am not giving 100% to the people I am supposed to be helping.

Would you recommend critique groups to other writers? If so, what elements, in your opinion, make a successful writer’s group?

You always want to have a sounding board, at the very least. So yes. I would totally recommend a CP or a group. The most successful, in my opinion, are those that equally spend time on each person. The bigger the group, the harder it becomes. Honesty is also important. There shouldn't be sugar coating. It's not about getting your ego stroked. It's about ensuring your writing is the best it can be.

Do you ever look back and think, "I wish I had written this differently?"

I think every writer goes through that. Because with each book, there is more expereince and understanding toward not just one's self but their writing. If you don't think there's anything you would change, then you're not a true writer. A true writer is always looking to better themselves and their stories.

Is writing your full time job or do you have another job also?

Writing is my full time job. But when I can, I am a personal chef on the side.

How important is it to attend writing conferences?

VERY important. Aside from all the friends I have made throughout the years, it's all about growth. I am always looking to attend classes and learn something new, even after 13 years. Personally, I would not be where I am at if not for the writing community and writing conferences.

I want to thank Delilah for giving us such a wonderful interview today and to let you know that I am part of the campaign to save her book series. Details about the campaign can be found on Delilah's website, but if you were intrigued by her interview and want to read more, do her the honor of purchasing her book and proving to publishers that it is a series worth saving. I am currently reading the first book in the series, Mistress of Pleasure, and will have a review of it soon. Stay tuned! In the meantime, Delilah has graciously offered an e-arc of Mistress of Pleasure to one lucky commenter today, so comment away! ~ Margay

2 Moonbeams (comments):

Sheila Deeth said...

Thanks. This was definitely an interesting interview. I'd be scared to write historical fiction because I'd be so sure I'd get things wrong - must be from all the times my granddad would watch movies and interrupt with comments about how this or that detail was wrong.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Sheila,
You won a copy of the e-arc of Mistress of Pleasure. Send me your email address and I will forward it to you.
Margay