Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Planning

As a writer, one of my favorite parts of the process is planning. Taking that little nugget of an idea and deciding what to do with it is one of the most challenging - and rewarding - aspects of writing for me. Kind of like planting the seeds for a gardener. A true gardener does not just cast the seeds out willy-nilly and "see" what happens with them; a true gardener strategically places each seed in a certain place, arranging them for their best visual impact when they bloom. A true gardener can see that far into the future, when the seeds begin to grow and bloom into a startling array of life and color.

The same can be said of a writer - or at least this one. When I first come up with the "seeds" of a story, I start to visualize what they will look like when they bloom. How will this seed look next to that one? Will this one naturally flow into that one? I plant each seed exactly where I want it, for the best overall results. Then I nurture and cultivate them until I have a beautiful garden that is bursting with life and color. I water them conflicts and fertilize them with rising action until they flourish - and thrive. And when they achieve the results I am striving for, I put them on display for others to enjoy while I go off and plan my next garden...

Looks like this year, I'm going to have a bumper crop. So many gardens, so many wonderful species of flora to populate it.

If you are a writer, what is your favorite part of the process? ~ Margay

4 Moonbeams (comments):

Sheila Deeth said...

Oh dear :) I'm not a very good gardener either. And my writing tends to start with lots of scattered seems till some of them start to bloom. Then I'll plan.

Thinking about it, I probably do like the planning bit; it's just I can't start till I already know the characters.

Margay Leah Justice said...

I'm the same way, Sheila. I can't proceed until I have a clear take on the characters, too. How can you plot out situations for them if you can't see them acting out the stories? Once the characters fall into place, though, the real fun begins!
Margay

Molly Daniels said...

Right now, my challenge is seeing how they are going to make it through the bizzarre twist my brain just invented...I didn't even see it coming! But I know it will eventually work out.

Margay Leah Justice said...

I wonder the same thing at times! There are some stories where I really throw everything at my characters and sit back to see how they react to it.
Margay