Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, December 28, 2009

Mystic Monday

Cabin Fever


Squad 6,Carrie from Wisconsin,Carrie Hinkel-GillEver since I decided to play disc golf out of a desire to become less sedentary in hopes of losing weight and reducing the feelings of restlessness, I have more and more periods where I feel less like sitting in front of the TV and being outside and being active.  Joining Andrew Bogut's Squad 6 hasn't helped the situation either.  I have been going to games every Wednesday and Saturday for the last month.  It's been grueling for my voice, but a very fun experience I wouldn't change for the world.  It's kept me active for about an hour each of those days, and now I find that I need that exercise to feel relaxed.  I also find that I can't sleep unless I have had some exercise.  This need for activity also reduces my desire to read anything, so I haven't been reading much.  I thought it was just because my mind wanted a break, but that's not the real problem.   

The real problem behind my lack of desire to read has been increased cabin fever and restlessness.  Last night, I had zero desire to sit in front of the TV and even less of a desire to sit in front of a book.  Now that it's getting cold (temps in the 20s) and snowy (layer of ice under the snow), disc golfing won't be easy, but I found I had to disc golf.  I thought about a walk, but that just wasn't enough.  I wanted to feel the disc in my hand and throw it.  I didn't even care how well I did, I just needed to get out and play.  It was cold, but I had enough layers and some really good thermal underwear, so I wasn't cold.  There was an eye-shaped moon in the sky and the snow reflected the light enough to help us see the baskets so we could play a full round.  We finished at 6:30pm.  It took us an hour to play a round.   



I finally realized, I needed to exercise my muscles, that's what it was all about.  So it's more important now for me to clean up my weight bench and get it set up so I can use it on those days when it's too cold, too wet or too icy to play disc golf, especially if walking won't be enough.    

I'm hoping that this type of energy expenditures will bring back my desire to read because I have so many books I want to read before the end of the year!  


What about you?  Are you hit with cabin fever yet?  What do you do to relieve the restlessness? 

4 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

Sorry darling...I have the opposite problem. I don't want to leave the house, except for extreme necessities. When I'm not at the PC writing, reading, or goofing off, I'm reading my newly acquired reading material or downstairs watching L&O reruns. I was thrilled when we were asked to host Christmas, because it meant if I woke up in a surly mood, I didn't have to get dressed up:)

Diana L Smith said...

I don't mind staying when the weather is really nasty and curling up with a good book. If it is one I can really get into then the other things in life fade away for a time. But after a few days I have to get out and go somewhere, maybe to the mall and just walk and look or to the park and drive around but just get out somewhere.

Carrie said...

Exactly! I love reading and writing, but I can't stay cooped up in one place for too long a time without changing the scenery.

That's why our coaster trips were always so interesting. It was always neat to wake up in New Jersey, go to the peers, and then find myself in Virgina or Pennsylvania by the end of the day! In one day, my husband and I can travel from home to Buffalo, NY or to St. Louis, MO. We've also been known to drive 4 hours to Monticello, IN to go to Indiana Beach stay and ride the coasters until 10pm and then turn around and make the 4 hour trip back home.

I love those trips. They usually curb that wanderlust, but in winter, with no real trips like that, the wanderlust is very hard to control. There are times I just want to get into the car and drive south, to warmer weather.

However, I don't because he's here and I don't enjoy the road trips alone....

Molly Daniels said...

Next time you head to Monticello, let me know:) It's only a four-hour trip for us too, unless we're in Lafayette! My oldest will gladly ride the coasters with you:)