Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Friday, December 11, 2009

PHANTASM FRIDAY REVIEW OF POETRY

I dabble with poetry on occasion. I wouldn’t say I’m good at it. As if writing in general isn’t challenging enough, I sometimes love the extra challenge that poetry creates. Or rather, the “rules” I place upon myself when writing poetry is challenging. I enjoy setting a standard of cadence and rhyming. And then I enjoy starting over with a new set of standards. For example, here are a few different poems I’ve written. (Warning! None of them are works of art!)

~~~~~


IMMORTAL KISS

Through your mortality I live
Stealing carnal nourishment
Feasting upon the soul you give
Alive! Beyond earthly bounds

With life, you pulse
You tease with warm, soft skin
My need results
You are forever mine

I swell with your alluring scent
Mind exploding, chest heaving
Your offering is my intent
Senses reeling, I take you

With love, I give my immortal kiss
My bloody embrace
Transcends you with waves of tainted bliss
My arms caress death

Your life explodes around me
On memories and emotions I feast
Revealed for my eyes to see
To know you and love you intimately

His blood mixed with mine
In death, I awoke
Trapped for all of time
In immortality

~~~~~

WHITE EMBRACE

It reached outward, feeding upon the night,
Reaper prowling for a dying soul.
No rest...no rest...until It gained Its goal.
The essence of life nourishing Its delight.

A dog howled a warning to Its prey.
It pulled the victim into Its white embrace.
My father, my father, I give thee succor and grace.
It smiled and became the friend that would betray.

© Gracen Miller ~ These poems may not be reproduced or used in whole or in part by any means existing without written permission from the author.

~~~~~


As you can see in each poem, the rhyming pattern deviates in both, but they both also share the same number of syllables in certain lines so that they flow or dance together easily—in my head anyway. LOL The pattern then repeats throughout those poems. Poetry can be as difficult or as simple as the author desires to make them. Basically, it comes down to the rules or lack of rules a poet places upon themselves when crafting poetry.

How many of you write poetry? If you’ve never tried, I challenge you to give it a try. Just don’t be too strict on yourself and have fun while writing them! And if you’ve written some, I encourage you to share them with us.

With poetry in mind, I recently had the pleasure of reading a book of poetry by E.J. Stevens. Her book of poems is entitled, From the Shadows. When reading poetry you have to read it with a different eye and thought process than when reading a work of fiction, such as a romance or thriller novel. When I write poetry, I often write it with the hopes that there can be more than one interpretation to it. It felt like Ms. Stevens’ wrote many of her poems with the same intentions.

From the Shadows is an easy read, but there’s depth to these poems, with a story to be told in each one. And each and every one of her poems was thought provoking. Sometimes the poems are morbid and dark. Sometimes they’re poignant reminders of loved ones we’ve lost, such as My Mother’s Garden. At other times, I saw dark, unhealthy romanticism. Your Kiss is a Riptide, for example. This poem in particular reminded me of the abusive relationship my best friend had with her husband. She wanted out of the relationship, but she kept getting caught up in his “riptide” until she was almost dead on the inside. Ms. Stevens may not have meant for me to interpret this particular poem in this way, but that was how the poem affected me. And often times—in my opinion at least—poetry is about feelings and emotions, and I easily felt some form of emotion with each of Ms. Stevens’ poems.

As I read several of her poems, I could hear them set to music. Their dark, haunting words reminding me of the late 1980’s dark and haunting song, Close My Eyes Forever by Ozzy Osborne and Lita Ford. I love that song, still love that song, and could easily hear many of her poems sung in my head by some heavy metal singers today. Maybe Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach or even Rammastein, would be able to turn her poetry into lyrics.

Some of her simplest lines are her most vivid. For instance:


Shadow Queen of the Sidhe

“Blackberry lips
Brimstone embers in her hair…”

Graveyard Whispers
“Resonates through their caskets
Rattling cloth and bone…”

Plague Rat
“Gasping wetly for breath
Prayers pass cracked lips
Hoping for the release of death...”


Wow! What powerful and vivid descriptions with simple words. I can visualize exactly what she’s written and each one of these showcased above is startling in my mind’s eye. Her poems are written in a myriad of different ways, so the cadence never gets old. And while I liked some poems better than others—of course that’s with any story ;-)—I still enjoyed the totality of her book of poetry and I’m glad Ms. Stevens allowed me the privilege of reading her work. For anyone that loves dark poetry, I think you’ll love this book of poetry written by E.J. Stevens as well.

Still undecided if E.J.’s poetry is right for you? Come back on Sunday to get a sneak peek of one of her poems from her upcoming release, Shadows of Myth and Legend, and a sample of one of her poems From the Shadows! It’s a treat you will not want to miss!
~~~~~

Disclosure pursuant to FTC Rules: This book was received complimentary of the publisher, author or publicist. In most cases at Moonlight, Lace & Mayhem, whoever reviews the book gets to keep the book unless another arrangement has been made between reviewer, publisher, author and/or publicist. Just because a publisher, author and/or publicist provides a free book for review does not guarantee a flattering review. All reviews are the opinions of the reviewer and are never based upon receiving a free copy of the author’s work.
~Moonlight, Lace & Mayhem~

4 Moonbeams (comments):

Molly Daniels said...

I seriously need to dig out my poems. They vary in style, meter, and topic:) Three are about my oldest son; two for my daughter; ditties for author's book releases (not done one in a while...), two for my parents, and others too numerous to mention.

E.J. Stevens said...

Gracen,

Thank you so much for the lovely review of 'From the Shadows'. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Your poems 'Immortal Kiss' and 'White Embrace' are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing!
xx,
E.J.

Gracen Miller said...

Hi, Molly! *waves* We'd love for you to dig out your poems and share them with us too! I haven't written any poems in a while, but reading E.J.'s has me antsy to write some. *huggles*

Gracen Miller said...

Hi, E.J.! I really enjoyed your book of poetry and appreciate the opportunity to have reviewed it. Thanks for your kind words, but I know nothing I've ever written could compare to any of your poems.

In high school my best friend and I would write poetry and share them with one another. Most of it was horrific and depressing, but at least it served as an outlet for our emotions. I rarely ever shared them with anyone else (would have probably terrified my mother if I had) because most folks I knew just didn't get poetry. But I "got" the majority of your poetry and that's huge for me. Some poets leave me feeling "WTH", but I didn't get that once with any of your poems. So, pat yourself on the back! Major kudos to you.

I'm excited to have you with us this Sunday!

*huggles*